Wednesday, June 20, 2012



BLOOMFIELD TWP. — Zach Preuss and Lucas Belanger noticed that putting isn’t easy at the Oakland Hills Country Club North Course during the 101st Michigan Amateur Championship.

Both first-year participants, who were coming off state final appearances last weekend, struggled with their putting.

Preuss was lucky enough to make the cut into the 64-player match play, Belanger was not.

“I thought I putted well and I didn’t really make anything,” Belanger said. “The second day I hit the ball pretty good again, I just put myself in a couple bad spots.”

“It was just the putting. Honestly, that’s what kept me from playing in the match play. If I had putted a little better, I would be there.”

Preuss, who finished third in the Division 4 individuals last weekend, scored a 143 overall with a 70 Monday and a 73 Tuesday.

During day two, he bogeyed the 13-15th holes, but birdied the 18th to finish at plus-three.

Wednesday begins three days of match play and Preuss said his putting needs to improve after struggling both days.

“Start putting better and keep hitting the ball well and just put pressure on the other guys,” he said.

“Keep making pars and I think that will take you a long way.”  

Belanger helped Birmingham Brother Rice win its first state championship since 1998 at The Meadows at Grand Valley State University.

Coming off that, he finished the two rounds of qualifying stroke play with a 155, shooting a 76 Monday and a 79 Tuesday.

“I hit the ball way better than what I scored, so it was pretty disappointing,” he said. I think (coming off a state championship) that’s kind of why I’m so disappointed. I was in such a good mindset and my game was there, and it really was, it was the putting.”

Belanger, who went five-straight tournaments during the season with only one three-putt, said putts rolled five-to-10-feet past the hole that normally rolled three-feet past.

“I’ve just never played anything like it,” he said. It was a great experience, I’ll be back.”

Preuss, who went to Auburn Hills Oakland Christian as a junior and senior, was a Division 4 individual winner as a sophomore at Lutheran Northwest.

Pontiac Notre Dame Prep’s Aaron Knutson, who was the Division 3 runner-up at state individuals, finished with a 152 after struggling Tuesday. He finished the day with an 81 after shooting a 71 in the opening round

No comments:

Post a Comment