Monday, July 8, 2013

Waterford's Dovre wins Syron Memorial

Video highlights  By Roy J. "Joe" Akers are below. 

http://youtu.be/RoPoVvFHI8Q


Dovre captures wire-to-wire victory at Syron Memorial

MORE PHOTOS

Click thumbnails to enlarge
WATERFORD TWP. — Eric Dovre stood out from the rest of the field at the 45th annual Frank Syron Memorial Tournament in three ways this weekend.

First, he stood out because Dovre plays a yellow golf ball instead of the traditional white-colored ball.

“I started playing it a couple of years ago,” Dovre said. “I have really bad eyes. I wear glasses most of the time and my contacts get dry. It helps me see it better. When we are identifying balls on the tee, I just say that mine is yellow.”

Second, Dovre stood out because he ended up capturing the tournament title, finishing with at 7-under par to win the tournament by five strokes over the trio of Tom Daigle, Jr. (Wixom), Scott Jaschuk (Milford) and John Wright, who each came in at 2-under.

Finally, Dovre, a 29-year old resident of Waterford and 2002 graduate of Holly High School, stood out because he recorded a wire-to-wire victory.

He led after the first day following a 3-under par round of 69, had a one-stroke lead lead after Saturday’s second round when she shot a 73 and then was on top of the leaderboard again after Sunday, saving his best for last by firing a 5-under round of 67.

“I’m not nervous sleeping on the lead,” said Dovre, whose only previous appearance in the Syron Tournament came as an 18-year old in 2002. “I’d rather be the guy out in front than the guy who has to make up shots. When I got here today, I wasn’t feeling 100 percent. I was just hoping to make it through, but I think the adrenaline of having a lead and playing in front of a big gallery helped.”

After growing up in Holly and graduating from high school in 2002, Dovre moved on to Ferris State, turning professional in 2006 after he graduated from Ferris State’s golf management program.

Dovre became a golf pro and moved to the East Coast, but ended up getting out of that business in 2011 to take a job in the banking industry locally.

He couldn’t play competitive golf for a year in order to regain his status as an amateur golfer, but has since started playing competitively in amateur events.
“I certainly play in plenty of tournaments throughout the year, probably more than my family or wife would like me to play,” Dovre said. “I play a lot of the Publinx stuff and a lot of the Golf Association of Michigan events. It’s difficult having a 40-hour a week job and finding the balance.”

Dovre said he knew halfway through the back nine that he had a multiple-shot lead, but he still didn’t fade down the stretch, even making roughly a 40-footer for birdie on the par-3, 16th hole.

“Before I hit it, my father-in-law, who is my caddie, said to give it a chance,” Dovre said. “I hit it and it never left the center of the hole. It was one of those putts that was kind of meant to be.”

Following pars on the par-3, 17th hole and the par-5, 18th hole, Dovre then celebrated the win, which earned him a $750 gift certificate and the trophy that goes to the winner each year.

45th annual Frank Syron Memorial Tournament

(at Pontiac Country Club, par 72)

Final scores

Eric Dovre, Waterford 209

John Wright, Aurora, Ill. 214

Scott Jaschuk, Milford 214
Tom Daigle, Jr., Wixom 214

Andy Alvey, Milford 215

Larry Sterling, Jr., Shelby Twp. 215

Matt Sheperd, Oxford 216

Greg Davies, West Bloomfield 216

Anthony Sorentino, Rochester Hills 216

Danny Wood, Waterford 220

Gene Gizzarelli, Bloomfield Hills 221

Bill Zylstra, Dearborn Heights 223

Cameron Beeler, Oxford 223
Raymond Emsley, Davisburg 223

Sean Friel, Rochester Hills 223

No comments:

Post a Comment