Sunday, September 18, 2011

Max Kollin is Headed to Indiana University

     A few weeks ago, I attended the Randy Wise AJGA Open at Warwick Hills and excellent play by golfers watched by scores of college recruiters were there to witness the action. The Big Ten was well represented by Michigan, MSU and Indiana University (IU). Local schools ranging from the University of Detroit to Central Michigan checked out the talent that came from across the United States. The female golfers were especially from all over as several golfers came from California and for Max Kollin, he looked at many schools but ultimately decided to become a Hoosier. I communicated with Max and his parents through e-mail and they talked about the recruiting process and his ultimate decision to attend the University of Indiana.

According to his parents, Max drew interest from a lot of schools, including Indiana, Michigan State, Michigan, EMU, Bowling Green, Louiseville and others. But after considering offers from Indiana and Michigan State, Max chose to become a Hoosier and explains why.

RJA: What was the recruiting process like?
MAX: The recruiting process for me was long. At least it seemed that way. Last fall, I sent letters, my golf resume and a video of my swing to coaches from Big Ten schools and MAC schools. I only heard back from a small number of them, so I followed up with phone calls and emails. And this spring, after I won States and finished high in a couple of AJGA's, I sent another round of mailers and got more responses. That's how I initially got in contact with Indiana. 

RJA: Why IU instead of another college or university?
MAX: I chose Indiana because Coach Mayer and Coach Broce have built a team that is consistently ranked high. Their practice and training facility is amazing. And they've helped develop PGA Tour talent like Jeff Overton, Shaun Micheel and Steve Wheatcroft. Jeff was practicing at the Indiana team facility when I visited. That was pretty cool. I was fortunate. I had offers from Indiana and Michigan State. Both are great schools with great golf programs. So I couldn't go wrong either way. But in the end, I had to make a choice. And I'm really happy with my decision to go to Indiana.

RJA: What is your ultimate goal as a golfer?
MAX: At Indiana, I want to work hard, improve my game, support my teammates and get a great business degree. And have fun. I'm sure we'll work hard, but we'll have fun. 
 
RJA: What is the best way for a player who aspires to play golf to be seen by prospective college golfers?

MAX: Playing in the AJGA is the best way to get seen by college coaches and test your game on tough courses with tough fields. Because AJGA players have to qualify for tournaments, the fields are consistently tough, and you get to meet great players from all over the world. I think that my performance in AJGA events is what really got me on the radar for college coaches. 
 
RJA: What is your advice for high school golfers who want to follow in your footsteps?

MAX: I would tell other high school players who want to play college that they have to play in the toughest tournaments and test themselves against the best players in the country. And you also have to call and email coaches a lot. I've learned a lot about how to write good emails, letters and how to handle myself on phone calls. 
 
I also asked Max' parents how they have helped prepare their son for the rigors of playing competitive golf and the college recruiting process.
Mr. and Mrs. Kollin, what role did you play in Max' maturation in playing competitive golf?

Mr. Kollin: My wife and I gave Max really simple advice in this process: make sure you conduct yourself on the course in a way that you're proud of. It's easy to do that after a birdie. But make sure you also do it after a bogey -- and bogies are going to happen. 
 
RJA: What type of player do you feel as though college coaches are looking for?

Mr. and Mrs. Kollin: We believe coaches are looking for players who are mature, have a great game and also have great grades. So we stressed grades a lot with Max. And when we took him to tournaments, we left it up to him to get himself to range, and the tee on time. He needed to show he was ready for college. As a parent, all you can do is drop your son off, make sure he's well-rested, well-fed and eliminate distractions. 
 
RJA: What is your advice to parents who have a student athlete that could make the transition to college sports?

Mr. and Mrs. Kollin: My advice to parents is to get ready to take some long, and expensive road trips. But enjoy every minute of it. The time that we got to spend with Max over these past few summers have given us some our most cherished memories.  
 
Something that may be interesting is that Max has only played competitive golf for four years as he played travel baseball before that. He was focused on baseball until that point in time but they believe that the experience he received in baseball has helped him prepare for being a good high school and future college teammate. Max can only give a verbal committment to IU as of right now. The letter of intent will be signed in November.
 
To get more information on the recruiting process, go to the Oakland Press MIPrepZone and look for my golf recruiting video with interviews from athletes, college recruiters and the like.  Additional information is also by clicking the link below in golfweek magazine.

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/sep/05/kollin-no-63-2012-commits-indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment