Tuesday, May 8, 2012

One Year Anniversary of Seve's Death, Bob Krause and a Future Look at the 2012 Oak. Cty Prep Championships

First, off, let me say Happy Mothers Day to all the ladies out there this upcoming week and everyone reading this, at least call your mom, send flowers, spend some time with her and tell her to read this blog. Its better than flowers. Rim shot please.

The world of golf lost a legend a year ago this weekend with the passing of Seve Ballesteros. Ballesteros was simply a golfing prodigy. After turning pro at the age of 16, he first joined the world stage finishing second at Royal Birkdale in 1979 and won five majors by 1988. In my mind, Ballesteros like Mozart, Jimi Hendriz and dozens more who are prodigies at their crafts. Ballesteros showed his maestro talents and won the Master's twice when no European had ever accomplished that feat before him. For me, what made him unique was his ability to almost never be counted out from winning a hole due to his ability to use his golf clubs as a magician's wand. Where most people see a parking lot, Seve saw the chance to think creatively and hit a golf shot from the asphalt that no one else could believe just happened and that includes those that just saw it. He almost singlehandedly created instant replay in golf as the golf audience went into whiplash from shaking their heads in disbelief from what they just saw, and did this over and over again. Seve was known as a swashbuckler as his inconsistent driver made him a known commodity from all over the golf course from many places that most pros did not often play. Here is a video from CBS News and some stats from his play in his career. It is hard to believe he has passed away but Seve was not really a force as a world class golfer since the early-1990's. His bloom ended in his early thirties and served his sport in several capacities until his death.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0sLFZaCeNc

Career
Turned professional1974
Retired2007
Former tour(s)European Tour
Professional wins91
Number of wins by tour
PGA Tour9
European Tour50 (1st all time)
Japan Golf Tour6
Other31
Best results in Major Championships
(Wins:
5)
Masters TournamentWon: 1980, 1983
U.S. Open3rd: 1987
The Open ChampionshipWon: 1979, 1984, 1988
PGA Championship5th: 1984
Achievements and awards
World Golf Hall of Fame1999 (member page)
European Tour
Order of Merit winner
1976, 1977, 1978, 1986, 1988, 1991
European Tour
Player of the Year
1986, 1988, 1991

Golf Instruction

Lesson Number Two with Bob Krause.



I met with Bob Krause at his Golf Academy this past Friday and it was a real pleasure to see him after I made a mess of a couple of rounds I played the previous weekend. I played poorly at Brentwood and much better at Sanctuary and know from past experience that one lesson will not take care of my ills on a permanent basis. 

After Bob checked my balance and reviewed my swing, he noticed that I was actually taking my swing outside the desired swing plane. We got that straight quickly (you can check because the butt end of the club will point at your belly button or close anyway) and he then checked out the next part of my swing that he felt needed my attention. After my club reached a parallel point to the ground, I cocked my wrist and this created some shoulder turn with my eyes over the ball. I was hitting it much more solidly within a few swings and the ball was exploding off of my seven iron. I know hearing about someone else's golf game is pretty boring so if you are serious at improving your game, you need to give Bob a call. He is awesome! I hope to show you some snippets of my swing. Bob is under contract with some news organizations so after he receives the thumbs up, I will be more than happy to show you the video results. It will make you a believer.

Here is how to contact Bob. He moves for the season to Majestic in Highland and Fieldstone in Auburn Hills but call the number below. You will be glad you did.

Bob Krause Golf
White Lake, MI. 48383
Office: (941) 773-1339


I saw a great deal on a membership in GAM. Besides posting your score online for the purposes of handicap, you will receive 10% off regular prices at Dunham's Sports, discounts at golf courses. You will also receive an annual subcription to Golf Digest Magazine or six months of Golf World Magazine. There are also tournaments, 2 for 1 greens fees and plenty more. The total cost is only $35 and you can go to GAM.org to find out all of the details. You can also call 248-478-9242 ext. 23 and they will walk you through the entire process.

A few of you may know (tell the world and everyone will know) that I contribute video stories to the Oakland Press and MiPrepZone. A feature story on Otto Black from 2011 appeared this weekend and a preview of the Oakland County Golf Championships will appear over the next week. His video story will appear in Mi Prep Zone and in this blog. We also plan on covering his teams golf match against Southfield Christian at Bald Mountain Golf Course in the Lake Orion/ Auburn Hills area.

Finally, the Bridgestone Ball Fittings is in town. Locally they happen all over but appear next on Sat May 14, 2011
Here is where to find them. Contact Santuary Lake below to make sure you get in.
Sanctuary Lake GC
1450 E South Blvd
Troy, Mi 48085
248-619-7671
11:00am - 4:00pm

Here is a link to Bridgestone to receive more information.
Next time, I will have a course review of Tanglewood-The Lion in South Lyon, Michigan. I golfed 18 holes at the course today and enjoyed the course and the nice day. I will give you details next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment