Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tiger's Reaction to Hank Haney's Tell-All Book

Tiger and Hank in happier times
     First off, Hank Haney can write about whatever he wants and who he wants. The problem is the man he wrote the book about has a memory that makes an elephant look like a drunken belligerent.
    
     You see, Tiger Woods is none too happy that his former swing gury decided to write a book about his former pupil and 14-time major winner.
"I think it's unprofessional and very disappointing, especially because it's someone I worked with and trusted as a friend,” Woods said in an interview with ESPN.com.

     Hank Haney disputes that this book is a tell-all book and really talks about how he was a first hand witness to Tiger's greatness during most of the 2000's. Haney’s “The Big Miss” will be released on March 27. In a recent interview, Haney said he didn’t write the book to be a tell-all or to enhance his own reputation. “I felt like I had a front-row seat to greatness. And I think that anyone that observes greatness wants to talk about it. It's not a tell-all book, or a takedown book, or whatever they might say,” Haney said.

But that is not how Tiger sees it.

"There have been other one-sided books about me, and I think people understand that this book is about money. I'm not going to waste my time reading it." Haney and Woods are going tit for tat and Haney had this salvo in reaction to Woods in a recent tweet. "The Big Miss is golf history. I observed (greatness) and am asked about it all the time. I wanted to share it in a fair and honest way."
Haney did not acknowledge, in last week's interview, if Woods knew the book would be written some day, but believes Woods is portrayed accurately.
“Other people have written books about him, but most people who have were just speculating to a great extent. None have been written where someone can say, ‘I was there and made these observations,’” he said. “I think if (Tiger) reads the book, he’ll feel it’s very fair and honest.”

If Haney is speaking as a historian and tells about his first hand witness account of Woods, he stands on some firm ground but does he uses quotes or knowledge that Woods would not have authorized him to use? That will come out in March. In all, Haney spent six years working with Woods before that  relationship came to an end in May 2010.
“There's no doubt the time I was with Tiger had the most drama to it, whether it was the scandal, or the U.S. Open, or the knee surgeries. I'm sure people are going to have a little different view of what I dealt with."

     The elephant in the room is Woods. For whatever the reason, whether it be Haney or his ex' wife or his ex' caddie Steve Williams, Woods brings out strong reactions from those who know him best.

No comments:

Post a Comment